>such skills should be taught in the home and in the public schools
>before they reach college. Also in the homes and in the public
>schools, discipline should also be used in order to coorect
>disruptive behavior.

I guess I agree, if it turns out that you and I agree on what "discipline"
is -- still, when it turns out it hasn't, are you then saying it is not
college's job to teach? . . . we have a "Transformations" program in our
local prison.  It is definitely part of our college.  When the students go
into the classroom, they are in class, exactly like the other classrooms in
our other campuses.  Faculty who didn't used to see their jobs as
"transforming" their students now are working with a whole different
paradigm (forgive the jargon, but I think it's appropriate) . . .

The recidivism rate of program graduates, after several years, is about
20%, compared to well over half for control group . . . to me, the message
is: education is the key to changing values . . .
                                Neal Steiger
                      NH Community Technical College
                        379 New Prescott Hill Road
                            Laconia NH  03246
                phone:  603-524-3207   fax: 603-524-8084
          "Even a planarian worm can learn."  --Eunice Cornish