Hi listers,

I have a different view of all those students who come in under prepared
and unmotivated. I used to be so upset by such students. I believed that I
could save them; I thought if I just taught better, longer, offered more,
such students would pass and continue. OK, so I'm co-dependent. Last
semester I had a student in my College Reading I class who spent one entire
class taking apart his pager. Of course, I couldn't say anything since I
have been raised to not say anything if I can't say anything nice. Anyway,
after class I asked him to keep such equipment out of the classroom.
Needless to say, he didn't attend many classes and finally withdrew because
he had to serve some jail time. He was not in my class to learn, but to
show the courts he was in college. His agenda was not mine. I assumed he
wanted to learn. He did not. He attended for his own reasons. Since then, I
don't make the same mistake. My agenda may not be theirs, so that releases
me of all that responsibility. I teach to those who are there to learn and
I do not have to worry about those who are present for different reasons.
This way I don't burn out as fast. Just a different way of looking at the
issue.

Katy