Good points.  What I do not understand is why we assume that students retreat
because of the instructor's approach.  What?  Are these students walking into
the classrooms with big "not worthy" signs on them?  Why do we always blame
the teacher or the institute for the choices our students (as adults) make?
Maybe the student that retreats has more problems than a college is able to
deal with.

I have found that being honest with students works best.  Call a spade just
that.  Some students are just not cut out for college and not because they are
unintelligent.  There is NO shame in a student leaving college to work or do
what ever they need to do.  Yes, this is not what most want to hear, but it is
the truth.

                                "WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS, MAKE LEMONADE!"

CARLA CHAPMAN
Learning Center
(308) 865-8214