Exactly!!!  Don't sugar coat a students obvious problems, like "not coming to
class".  Also, what I want to point out is that if a student really is not "cut
out" for college, we should respect that and not make them feel that leaving is
a sign of failure.  There is no shame in making choices that best suit our
lives.  However, I agree that there are acceptions, as you pointed out, and we
cannot always use the same tactics of cold honesty for every situation.

Contrary to what I may portray here, I am a teddy bear with my students.  I am
lucky to have the deminar of tiger in my own ability to survive, but I know
that not everyone does.  It's nice to know there are lots of you like that out
there...people who "really" care about the success and survival of their

                                "WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS, MAKE LEMONADE!"

CARLA CHAPMAN
Learning Center
(308) 865-8214