If I ever heard a student say, "I'm here because it's free," my first
question would be, "If someone gave you a brand new car, absolutely free,
would you go out and wreck it just because you didn't have to pay for it?"
Five years of grants and scholarships is the monitary equivalent of a new
car.  Use it or throw it away.  I believe if instructors make the purpose
of education relevant to life and put the cost of a "free" education
thrown away in perspective, you CAN get student buy in.

Peggy Keller
English Instructional Technician
Assistance Centers for Education
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM  87106