At Mount Saint Mary's College we are  experimenting with a new system
called the Goal Planning Program.  Students whose gpa's place them in our
Dismissal Alert category are required to participate in this program.  Its
components include:  previous semester assessment, study skills assessment
and training, long and short term goal setting based on this semester's
course work, and grade tracking for all classes.  As you can see, this is
very labor intensive.  So far I have been pleased with the structure
provided by this system.  We have been doing different parts of this for a
while and now have a better way to track it.

The program borrows from successful practices in disability support at the
college level.  It was developed by Dr. Henry Reiff of Western Maryland
College.  He has recently published a research article on goal planning
but I do not have it in the office today so I can't give you that info
now.

Tom

Thomas Gibbon
Director of Learning Services