I find this discussion about results to be very interesting as it  raises
questions many of us probably have who have implemented SI. I'd like to
add a comment that moves beyond what the student data shows and that is
how much SI has helped us to develop incredible faculty support on this
campus.  How do we include this benefit into the cost of the program? I'm
not sure we can compute $ figures but it certainly has value that should
be incorporated into the overall equation of benefits v.s. costs.  SI has
been a vehicle for building bridges and developing faculty interest in
what the LSC has to offer more than any other communication effort. Yes,
the central purpose of SI is to provide student support, but it gets a lot
of other milage as well and all of it has been very positive for our
program.

Georgine Materniak
Director
University of Pittsburgh
Learning Skills Center
311 William Pitt Union
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
phone:  (412)648-7920
fax:    (412)648-7924
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans" John Lennon