You are 100% correct. I really am enlightened by your response. When
that student said that to me, I really tried to reach out to her and
explain that you are here to learn and enlighten one's personal and
professional growth and I told her she should be grateful for such an
opportunity. I guess one of those students heard my message as she
went on to successfully complete my class with a B.

Thanks so much for the kind response. Prof L

> If I ever heard a student say, "I'm here because it's free," my first
> question would be, "If someone gave you a brand new car, absolutely free,
> would you go out and wreck it just because you didn't have to pay for it?"
> Five years of grants and scholarships is the monitary equivalent of a new
> car.  Use it or throw it away.  I believe if instructors make the purpose
> of education relevant to life and put the cost of a "free" education
> thrown away in perspective, you CAN get student buy in.
>
> Peggy Keller
> English Instructional Technician
> Assistance Centers for Education
> Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
> 525 Buena Vista SE
> Albuquerque, NM  87106

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]