Dear LRNASSTERS:

We're at a very crucial point in our discussions trying to implement
college-wide basic skills assessment of all applicants to our programs.  I
need a print reference (an article, report, etc.) on the topic of mandatory
vs. advisory assessment.  I remember reading somewhere in the last couple
of years that some of the California colleges that had been mandating
course placements on the basis of pre-admission test scores have now
rescinded that policy.  My understanding is that they were finding a lot of
negatives going that direction, and they have since switched to an advisory
process.  Can anyone point me in the right direction, and give me the
bibliographic information needed for a good reference?  I would be forever
grateful!

Catherine Schnare
Selkirk College