Gary Probst replied:

The people the college send out to recruite students job is to fill
seats.  If they did not we would go out of business.

What I find terrible is when they recruite students who have very low
abilities and tell them they can become accountants, lawyers, doctors,
etc.  Sometimes these students are (1) graduates of special education
programs or (2) a person who dropped out of high school twenty years ago
who is a single mother with a full time job and three children.  They
sign these students up for 12 to 15 credit hours in courses like
accounting or biology.  What is really fraudulent is when they help
these students obtain a loan to pay their tutition.  These students
cannot benefit from the program for which they have been encourged to
take.  They soon develop two problems.  One, they see themselves as a
failure.  Two, they are in debt and have no way to pay it off.

However, your question does not address the poor quality instruction a
freshman student can receive.  I know of instructors that have 80
percent of the students drop their courses!  Nothing is do to these
faculty members.

What I teach the students in my reading classes is how to teach
yourself  a course.  This is what you and I do now to learn something
new. I find going to class usually a waste of time.