Thanks for your comment Gary: "When you are a high school English
teacher with 30+ students in five or six sections, how can you ever read
what they write?"

It always bothers me when I read sweeping statements about the poor
quality of teaching in any particular level.  Of course there are many
lousy high school teachers, just as there are many lousy college
professors, just as there are many wonderful high school teachers, and
just as there are many wonderful college professors.

Many students come to college underprepared but it is not always the
high school teachers' fault!  In fact, I bet that if you truly analyzed
each individual student, you would find a plethora of reasons - and they
would be different for each student.

I think high school teachers are dumped on too many times.  How many of
us would volunteer to be high school teachers (or elementary school
teachers for that matter) today?  How many of us used to be K-12
teachers and left for the more satisfying, less stiltifying, and (yes)
easier life in higher ed?

Lonna Smith
former elementary/middle school teacher
now happily (most of the time!) at San Jose State University