Georgina,
        I think you made the point exactly. In our Learning center we work closely
with the Information Tech. department, relying on them for full techincal
support, we are looking to replace our "lab tech" positions with more of a
teaching or educational technologusts type of individual, who can provide just
the type of academic support and individualized learning opportunities that
you mentioned.
        We have found it difficult to recruit appropriate staff for the educational
technologist position for a few reasons, the positions are part-time without
benefits, the hours we need someone are in conflict with the hours many
qualified individuals are available ( most qualified people are looking for a
second job in the afternoons if they are teaching day hours or going to
graduate school ), and the people with the greatest ability to integrate
technology into students' supplemental educational experience are in high
demand. However, I strongly agree with you that a solid Information Technology
department can offer all of the technical support that a Learning center
needs.

Roberta Schotka
Roxbury Community College