My learning lab is like (1).  I have had complaints about noise or
socializing in my lab.  It never really gets out of hand, but I tell
people that this is not a place designed to study in quiet, it is a
place to work with other people.  Extra noise and some socializing are
part of the package.  Our library is down one floor from us, so students
will go there if they need quiet.