Norman Stahl wrote:

> >Is Research I  a major research university?
>
> A Research I school is always a Major Research University.  It is likely
> that a Research II university is an MRU.  It is always dicey when you get
> to the Doc I's and Doc II's as to how these are perceived.
>
> That's how it works in my mind.
>
> *********************************
> Norman A. Stahl, Chair
> Department of
> Curriculum & Instruction
> Northern Illinois University
> DeKalb, IL  60115
>
> Telephone:
> (815) 753-9032 {office}
> (815) 753-9040 (FAX)
>
> Email: [log in to unmask]
I recently heard the head of research at the Research II university in
my community explain Research I and II status in terms of federal
research grants secured; in other words, if you have a certain level of
federal research funding (maybe it's $100 million or more; I'm can't
remember the exact amount) then you are considered Research I; Research
II institutions have less $.  The university in my community is striving
to increase research $ and thus become Level I.  In doing this, they are
raising admissions standards and negotiating with the local community
college (where I work) to provide freshmen/sophomore level instruction;
in addition to the freshman/sophomore classes, I would assume that the
community college would also assume responsibility for remediation
(something for which our particular college has a good track record).
Gail Platt