Elizabeth Bergman asked:

>What do you do when you receive a serious complaint about a professor =
or
>when the same complaint about a professor is repeated by several =
students?
>How does your learning center handle complaints?

I encourage tutors to focus on tutoring.  If the complaint requires the =
attention of the student's advisor or the department chairman, the tutor =
will instruct the student about the proper procedure.  We stress that =
what this student needs to focus on is succeeding in the class.  =
Frequently, it is easier to complain about what the instructor requires =
and how unreasonable it is than to simply get the task completed. =20

We do an entire segment during our peer tutor training on how and when =
to make referrals.  Our peer tutors are not counselors or academic =
advisors.  We include referrals for financial, family, academic, health =
related and disability problems in our training.  I usually invite =
someone from at least one of these areas to address the class briefly to =
help familiarize the tutors with the services available.  One of the =
things that we have found is that academic struggles may be the symptom =
and not the real problem.  The tutors are trained and willing to help =
with the academic situtation but the student also needs to take =
advantage of the other resources available.