We - myself and two faculty that staff the Learning Center - have full
responsibility for the 12 computers and 5 printers, most of which are on one or
more networks. The computers provide access to all computer apps taught on
campus plus Internet and NovaNET. Up until Fall '97, the college did not have
official tech support and and we relied on our Computer Tech faculty and
students who were helpful but not always available. Necessity being the mother
of invention - and the 3 of us always ready for a challenge - we have learned to
troubleshoot most problems, write needed .bat files, upgrade RAM, replace
motherboards, etc. Sometimes we have fun; more often it's a pain in the neck.
But we have sure learned a lot - and I believe it has modeled good behavior for
our students in the Learning Center, seeing how we roll up our sleeves and
problem solve.

    . . . Gail

Gail A. Rowe, Coord., Learning Assistance Center
Southern Maine Technical College   http://www.smtc.net
2 Fort Road, South Portland, ME 04106
Voice (207) 767-9536     Fax (207) 767-9522