Gary Probst wrote:

In Maryland any high school student over the age of 16 can enroll in a
community college and transfer the credits back to the high school to
count toward a high school degree.  While most parents do not know this,
a few parent send their children to community colleges because they do
not like the high school their child is required to attend.  While this
has educational advantages, it could has social disadvantages. Most
students want to stay with their friends.  However, if the high school
has a very bad environment, a parent would be wise to send his or her
child to a community college instead of a private high school.  A
student could graduate from high school and community college at the
same time.