Community colleges in NC have just finished the quarter to semester
conversion.  Our developmental courses have 5 contact hours/4 credit hours.
At this community college, developmental classes meet for 3 fifty-minute
periods and 1 two-hour lab each week.  The advantage of this system is that
we now have opportunities to do collaborative projects, spend real time
learning to use calculators, word processors, solve group problems, have
guest speakers, learn some library research techniques, etc.  Initially,
creating the two-hour lab has put a burden on instructors.  At the same time,
we agree that the benefits of the two-hour lab are substantial for students.
Susan Paterson, Asheville-Buncombe Tech CC, Asheville, NC