Katy:
    You don't have a different view than everyone; I agree w/ you 100%. If you
do the best job you can do as an instructor, tutor, SI leader, or any
educational or mental health provider, that's all anyone can ask of you. You
are absolutly correct about agendas; everyone has his own whether they know it
or not. You are also correct that you will burn out if you take personal
responsiblity for everyone you work with.
    Sometimes, unfortunately, people have to hit bottom before they can begin
climbing. I previously taught in a community college and many of my students
expressed that they didn't appreciate eduction when they were in high school.
They HAD to go through the abusive husband, kids at an early age, divorce, and
several minimun wage jobs before they began to value an education. What you
need to do is be there at that time to support those which are eager to learn
but still have obstacles in their way. I say for that group, yes, let's
provide every service possible to help them in their climb out of their former
lives but never forget it is their climb.  When they do suceed, and many will,
what a wonderful feeling they will have and that is the beginning to "true"
self-esteem!! Barb S