Neal Steiger wrote:

> I myself had an instructor who told me I would never make it.  I hate
> think what might have happened if I had internalized his judgment.
> Fortunately, there were many other instructors who told me quite
> otherwise.
>  Something to be said for at least a little dash of the "touchy-feely"
> in
> education.

I had a similar experience as a senior engineering student.  I changed
majors to Mathematics because of my advisor/teacher.  When I told him
that I was changing majors, I took my folder from him, and he stated
"You know, you might consider quitting college."  Now I am teaching at
one of the top engineering schools in the country, and he is selling
life insurance.  What he said may have been negative, but it did
strengthen my resolve.  He was weeded out of the system just as a
student that never goes to class is.  Unfortunately it usually takes
longer for a bad teacher than it does a bad student.

Craig Andres
Kettering University