Richard writes:
<   >>
Martha, thanks for the information. What about the "hopeful about the
future"
part of these articles? What were they hopeful about, or should I look them
up
myself>

Well, not really much except that high status, brand name colleges and
universities will continue to do what they always have done and continue to
attract students - because of their  academic reputation or the kinds of
people students will meet there, etc.  Developmental Ed. will be
downplayed- outsourced, placed in community colleges or extension
departments, or offered through technology. On the other hand, there is a
group pushing to return universities to teaching only  liberal arts and
sciences and divest them of professional schools -  that doesn't make much
sense to me as professional schools bring in much of  their income.

Last week I attended a local meeting where  Margaret  Miller, president of
the American
Association of Higher Ed spoke on:"  The Big, Mean Market: What Higher
Education Must Learn from the Alternative Providers."  She described that
regardless of how much higher education is
resistant to change, it can ultimately be moved by the market and that the
alternate providers offer a challenge to higher education that will soon
have to be answered. (NOTE: Translate "challenge" into "big threat")

The expansion of   for-profits like the U. of Phoenix and the explosion of
enrollment in distance /distributed learning should change
the academy. I asked about how access would change but they weren't
interested in that. What they are concerned about is how making higher
education more market-oriented will  change liberal arts and diminish
departments like comparative literature  that are not very popular with
students.  Also they are concerned about maintaining a required core of
liberal arts and sciences courses in institutions that are attempting to
keep up with the marketplace and offer only courses that are  maximally
relevant to everybody.

But even the for-profits have concerns-  the Open-University fears India,
the  U. Phoenix is concerned about  competition from IBM.

Martha Maxwell