Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:00:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Anne Wyatt-Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Re: Harvey Roy Greenberg, MD's posting on reviewer's rancor, I am horrified
but fascinated by the language.  The reviewer gleefully constructed a
"decline" narrative, which suggests intergenerational warfare big time.
[You might enjoy reading Margaret Gullette's new book Declining to Decline.]
My question would be why did the editor send the paper out to a young turk
to review?  At present there is no love lost between the generations in
academia, but perhaps there never has been.  In film studies, however, the
theorists have long ruled the roost, and psychoanalysis is not one of their
pet theories.  Anyone who fails to use their keywords gets savaged as beyond
redemption.  This reviewer took advantage of anonymity to be nasty.  No
doubt s/he will get hers/his ultimately, but not soon enough, alas.  Like
most people I have my file of horrible rejections, so I must say I hope you
get a chance to take an elegant revenge.  Anne

Anne M. Wyatt-Brown
Program in Linguistics
112 Anderson Hall
PO Box 115454