Dear Barbara,
The purpose of The March is to raise awareness and express concern about
cancer . Events in cities across the U.S. are planned to coincide with the
March in D.C., just like the  STAND FOR CHILDREN events last June, the million
man march, Promise Keepers, Children's Defense Fund, etc. Gathering en masse
at the nation's capitol for a common purpose sends a loud message to the
government that the people want and need more energy and resources put towards
cancer prevention, research,  and treatment. And that we want action!

As far as I know, the March is not about raising money but consciousness.
Local organizations and groups might use the March in local events as a
fundraiser to benefit their non-profit work.  The literature I have DOES NOT
ask for money, just permission to put your name in a newspaper ad, (adding to
casts of thousands).
Hope this answers your questions.
Virginia