At Suffolk University we have noticed that the more motivated students
with higher GPAs attend the groups and acheive higher grades than
the students who do not attend.  The students who do not attend aren't
necessarily less motivated or have lower GPAs.  Some reasons for not
attending include: not feeling comfortable in groups, are doing well and
do not need the help or schedule conflicts.
In rare cases where the leader goes out of his/her way
to outreach to students who are not attending, we will attract students
with lower GPAs. This is usually in the smaller course sections.

However,the model is effective in helping students
succeed in extremely difficult content areas and is another mode to
provide assitance to students in addition to peer tutoring.

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Jan Norton wrote:

> A question about SI:  is there any data which shows that SI creates,
> rather than attracts, better students?
>
> Jan Norton, Director
> Center for Academic Support             Phone: (816) 271-4536
> Missouri Western State College          Email: [log in to unmask]
> 4525 Downs Drive                        Fax: (816) 271-4574
> St. Joseph, MO  64507                   Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas

Paula Westmacott
Director
Ballotti Learning Center