"Selling Public Higher Education? Framing the Debate on Privatization" is the
topic for the Fall Forum of the CUNY Community College Conference, to be held
on Friday December 11 from 9:30 till 12:30 at the Borough of Manhattan
Community College, 199 Chambers St., NYC. Refreshments will be served.

Is privatization in the future of CUNY?  A panel will frame the debate in a
state and national context with particular emphasis on CUNY and its community
colleges.  Panelists will address the topic of privatization from the
viewpoints of education, the economy, politics, ethnicities, class and gender.

Confirmed panelists include: Helen Marshall, Chair of the City Council's
Committee on Higher Education; Fred Lane, Professor, School of Public Affairs,
Baruch College; Marilyn Neimark, Professor of Accountancy, Baruch College;
Sandra Watson, Senior Administrator, Family Institute, LaGuardia Community
College, and Norman Fruchter, Institute for Education and Social Policy, NYU
and co-author of _Hard Lessons:Public Schools and Privatization_. Other
panelists are currently being invited to participate. We anticipate a
lively debate from all sides of the question.  Lawrence K. Grossman,
former president of PBS and of NBC News, will moderate.

Please mark this on  your calendars.  The subject of privatization promises to
become only more and more relevant to CUNY's concerns. We hope you will join
us and contribute your comments and questions to this critical discussion of
this aspect of CUNY's future.

The CUNY Community College Conference is an organization of concerned faculty
and staff from CUNY's Community Colleges.  This forum is part of our commitment
to promote informed public discussion of issues facing our colleges.

For information about the Conference, including becoming a member, please
contact Anne Friedman, [log in to unmask] (BMCC) or Lorraine Cohen,
[log in to unmask] (LGCC).