> At 12:16 PM 11/9/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >As is frequently an issue on many college campuses, our college is
> >experiencing the need to significantly cut expenses.  Once again, I need
> >to justify the role of our center and justify the cost of keeping it
> >open.  We have been an AA degree granting private college, but we have
> >added, and plan to add more, BA programs.
> >
> >I need your help to address the critical assumption made by one key
> >individual, who opposes our continuance.  He stated that most colleges
> >are closing their learning centers.  He maintains that "good colleges"
> >don't need learning centers because they have only good students.  While
> >he may be accurate, this isn't my perception.
> >
> >If you are at a BA degree granting institution, I would like to get a
> >few pieces of information from you:
> >
> >Name of your college:
> >University of Wisconsin - Parkside
>
 >How many years has your center been open:
> The school has been in existence for 30 years.  Tutoring has been
available this entire time to the best of my knowledge.>

> >Is there a movement to close it?  If yes, why?
> >No, although occasional grumps come from some faculty about providing
"remediation" for nonprepared students.  We work very hard at keeping
upper administration knowlegeable about what we do, who we serve, and any
research out there that validates our existence.

> >Approximately how many students do you serve, in terms of any units of
> >measure you use?
 In a school of about 3500 students, we had 1500
> contacts in the first 8 weeks of class serving about 550 individuals.
> Contrary to most preconceived notions, the majority of students who used
> the center sought tutoring for 100 level or above courses.

> >Do you include tutoring services?
> >Yes--Our center is focused on peer tutoring.  Drop in is available for
math and in the Writing Center.  Other tutoring for any subject where
there is a need is by weekly appointment arrangements.

> >What differences do you see occurring in terms of usage over the past
> >3-5 years?
> Significant increases from the past couple of years, to the best of my
knowledge.

> >What are the other questions I should be asking?
> >
> >What are other trends of which I should be aware?
> >
> >Thank you so very much.
> >
> >Paulette Church
> >Waldorf College
> >Forest City, IA  50436

Charlotte Short
Learning Assistance
University of Wisconsin-Parkside        Phone:  414.595.3334
900 Wood Road Box 2000                  Fax:    414.595.2181
Kenosha WI 53142-2000