At 11:04 AM 11/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>     We also use ACCESS to track our student use and client information,
>but we are doing so using cards to record the information, then entering
>the data by hand.  Is there anyone out there who is using a bar code
>reader of some sort to enter client information directly into their ACCESS
>database?  Or anyone who can explain to me how easy/difficult that would
>be, what other software/hardware/accessories would be needed?

>Jan Norton, Director
>Center for Academic Support             Phone: (816) 271-4536
>Missouri Western State College          Email: [log in to unmask]
>4525 Downs Drive                        Fax: (816) 271-4574
>St. Joseph, MO  64507                   Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas

I, too use Access for tracking student use. All students who enter the
Learning Center are asked to sign in at the computer dedicated to that
purpose. They fill in four fields on a form: name, major, course, and
service (tutoring, study, testing, computer assistance, etc.)
Access then grabs the time and date from the computer clock. Students are
also asked to sign out by selecting their name from the list of students
who have signed in, then click on sign out. This gives me time out data as
well as time in. My next step will be to use a card reader to read their id
cards. I understand it is not too difficult, but have not yet tackled it.

Deb
Deborah Y. Bauder, Ph.D.                                tel.:   315/792-7310 or
SUNY Institute of Technology at Utica/Rome                              315/792-7316
P.O. Box 3050   Route 12 N at Horatio St.                       fax:    315/792-7806
Utica, NY  13504-3050                           email:  [log in to unmask]