Every writer has received rejection slips; too many of them for most.
The "Financial Times" has quoted the "mother of all rejection slips",
translated from a Chinese economic journal. It goes like this:

We have read your manuscript with boundless delight. If we were to
publish your paper, it would be impossible for us to publish any work of
lower standard. And as it is unthinkable that in the next thousand years
we shall see its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your
divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to overlook our
short sight and timidity.

(It might be true.)

Norman A. Stahl, Chair
Department of