We start all new tutors at 5.60/hr for one semester.  During that semester, the
y must complete 12 hours of training and work a min. of 25 hours of actual tuto
ring time.  Based on their performance and successful completion of training, e
tc., they earn their Level I CRLA Certificate and get a pay raise to 6.00/hr.
They stay at this rate for two semesters and complete another 10 hours of train
ing to earn level II Certification.  By the end of their 3rd semester, they hav
e earned two Tutoring Certificates and get another pay raise to 6.95/hr.

Our campus has a student wage scale that has 5 different levels based on skill
level.  Within each level, there are 4 step increases.  Once a student has work
ed at a specific level and step for two semesters, they are eligible for a "Ste
p" increase.  Since these "step" increases may only be 10 cents an hour, we opt
ed to give students pay increases where they moved from one pay level to the ne
xt based on completion of training.

It sure does give them the incentive to complete training!

Ruth A. Doucette
Tutor Coordinator
University of Maine, Orono