Elizabeth,
Peer Academic Skills Tutors in our Academic Skills Center are paid $5.30 an
hour and Peer Academic Skills Tutor Supervisors are paid $5.80 an hour. Our
Student Employment Office recently introduced four pay levels of $5.30,
$5.80, $6.30, and $8.00 for the 1999-2000 academic year. The pay level
assigned a job will be determined by the tasks associated with each job as
defined in the job descriptions. I have requested and hopefully justified
the rate of $6.30 (the $8.00 rate include duties at the same level of a
University staff member so I was not able to justify asking for the highest
rate) an hour for my Peer Tutor Supervisors and $5.80 for Peer Tutors. The
Student Employment Office is also planning to add merit and length of
service components to the wage structure to reward students who remain in
the same job each year. This phase will also occur at the start of the
1999-2000 acad. year.

Tutors in the Academic Skills Center are paid for training, meetings, and
we also host end-of-the-semester lunches or dinners. I would love to hear
how your Tutor of the Year Award is structured.

At 02:57 PM 10/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>We offer our student tutors paid training, Level 1 and 2 CRLA
>certification, a chance to apply for our Tutor of the Year Award, and
>end-of-the-semester parties/receptions.
>
>What we have NOT been able to offer: raises or other financial
>incentives, or a for-credit training class.
>
>I've been doing some research on MI comm. colleges and have found several
>that offer either starting pay higher than minimum wage and/or raises.
>
>WHat does everyone else out in Listland offer or not offer?
>

>Elizabeth Dewey  517-686-9275
>Teaching/Learning Center   Delta College
>University Center, MI  48710

Hope N. Walton
Director of Academic Skills
University of Richmond