On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, CrockettAZ wrote:

> Could you post your "list of expectations" to the list?  Many of our students
> expect a "quick fix" from tutoring, as well as the undivided attention in
> group tutoring that you referred to.

Here it is.

VISIT the tutoring center as soon as you need help.

PREPARE for your tutoring session. Read your text, write the draft of your
essay, do some of the homework problems.

BRING your textbook, syllabus, tests, notes, previous papers, current
assignment,and any other materials which will help the tutor understand
what you are doing.

SIGN IN AT THE DESK.  The receptionist will check your information form,
give you a log sheet, and show you to a tutoring table.

AT THE TUTORING TABLE    Prepare your materials and begin working while
waiting for a tutor; work with other students.

        WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT ON YOUR VISIT

1. You can expect a tutor to work with you as soon as one is available
after you arrive.

2. You can expect a tutor to rotate among students.

3. You can expect a tutor to ask questions and make suggestions.

4. You can expect to work with other students.

        WHAT YOU CANNOT EXPECT

1. You cannot expect a tutor for all subjects at all times.

2. You cannot expect a tutor to sit with you alone for an hour at a time.

3. You cannot expect a tutor to teach you material when you have missed
class.

4. You cannot expect a tutor to do work that you should do such as take
notes or proofread.

These are on signs on the tables, on big signs on the walls, and on a
sheet handed out to everyone on the first visit of the semester.

Elizabeth Dewey  517-686-9275
Teaching/Learning Center   Delta College
University Center, MI  48710