Paulette, I am more than willing to respond to your appeal.  You have
helped me so many times over the years and are responsible for me
becoming a subscriber to this listserv this fall.

Name of college:  Bradley University, Peoria, IL

How many years Center open:  15 years

Total number of different students served through the Center programs
and services: 2,000/academic year

Tutoring services both walk-in and individual formats included for
student athletes and students at large, undergraduates only.

Movement to close Center:  NO, constant push for us to take on more
academic support responsibilities without the added staff or funds.

Past 3-5 year changes:  added a program for student on academic
probation for first time, are responsibility for learning disability
academic support services by default seven years ago and that demand has
increased 300% in the last five years and still growing.  As the
Director of the Center I now spend 60% of my daily work hours on
concerns related to L.D. services and keeping the University in
compliance in regard to academic accommodation issues.

Questions to ask:  How much money does your Center bring the college
when you help a student succeed academically and not need to be
dismissed or choose to leave the college/transfer because they can not
get the services to help them be retained?  How many student will choose
to not even come to your college because they do not offer the support
services.  Money is always the bottom line and that is the direction to
go when justifying your Center.

Contact some of your student leaders who have used the Center and have a
voice with the administration to communicate their perceptions about the
Center being eliminated.

Trends:   Are there some other academic support services on the campus
that could be consolidated into one Center, saving staff, space, money,
and confusion as to where to go for what type of academic service.

Anything else I can do to help you, let me know.

Carolyn Griffith, Director
Center for Learning Assistance
fax: 309-677-3685