Paulette,

Our learning center at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown has been
open for 10 years.   There is no discussion of closing it.  On the
contrary, we are trying to find ways to increase both staff and services
because the services help our students (who are good students) succeed even
more.  We are also committed to increasing our freshman retention and the
LRC has made a positive impact on retaining students.  We have 3,000
students on campus and about 800 students use our services in one way or
another during the year.  Tutoring services by peer tutors is the largest
service and use of tutoring continues to grow, partly due to referrals from
faculty and our freshmen orientation program.

You may want to look at how many of your students are nontraditional
students.  As jobs change and disappear, more adults are returning to the
classroom and need support services to build or refresh skills.  If your
campus has a retention target, make a case for the center as a critical
component in reaching it.

Diane