Debbie,
     I have successfully used the TESAT with many groups of tutors.  This
semester, for instance, I used it with a class of tutors at the University at
Buffalo Writing Place.  They had been trained to use a tutoring model for
writing centers, based on the conference approach, developed by McAndrews and
Reigstad.  Then they tutored for three weeks before completing the TESAT.  Use
of the TESAT helped the class to do self-assessment, and then we used those
results to discuss the areas of most difficulty so they could work on those in
subsequent tutoring sessions.  The tutors liked this approach; I was able to
get a better idea of what is happening in the early weeks of tutoring; the
thinking they have to do in order to complete the TESAT created the impetus
for a lively discussion on tutoring models!  Of course, the TESAT is designed
to reflect McDonald's Model, but since all good tutoring is based on the
ability of the tutor to build learner independence, many of the same ideas are
found in all good methodologies - no matter the content area.