For Ann Marshall and others interested in academic support centers: look in this web site
   <http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/winterinstitute/>  for some seminal articles on learning support centers. BTW, there is a difference between the published developmental education viewpoint as espoused by Hashaway and others and the learning assistance center concept which considers developmental education as curricular offerings and supports them just like it supports any and all college and university courses. BTW, many tutorial programs are located within learning assistance centers.  You might also look at the NTA web site whose URL is on the WI web site in the section on :OTHER PUBLICATIONS/WEB SITE DIRECTORY.

Here are two titles that you will find, among others, not only as citations, but as full text on screen. Their individual page URL's are listed after the article.

"LAC, LRC, and Developmental Education: An Orientation for the Beginning Learning Center
Professional" by Gwyn Enright in Sylvia Mioduski and Gwyn Enright (editors), Proceedings of
the 15th and 16th Annual Institutes for Learning Assistance Professionals, 1995, pp. 40-47.
<http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/winterinstitute/proceedings/945_proc/945proc_enright.html>

  "The Learning Assistance Center As I Lived It," by Frank L Christ  in Mioduski, Sylvia and
     Gwyn Enright (editors), PROCEEDINGS OF THE 15th and 16th ANNUAL INSTITUTES
     FOR LEARNING ASSISTANCE PROFESSIONALS: 1994 AND 1995. Tucson, AZ:
     University Learning Center, University of Arizona, 1997. Pp. 1-14.
<http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/winterinstitute/proceedings/945_proc/945proc_christ.html>
[log in to unmask]        "...what we need at this point in human
Frank L Christ                   evolution is to learn what it takes to learn
Emeritus, CSULB              what we should learn -- and learn it."
Visiting Scholar, U of AZ    ... Aurelius Peccei, Pres/Club of Rome
WI Web site: www.pvc.maricopa.edu/winterinstitute/