I agree that written English also suffers.  Very irritating examples are
often found on the local news, especially in smaller markets such as
Lubbock, Texas, where I live.  Not only are errors in grammar frequent, the
"talking heads" reading from the teleprompter apparently do not know the
difference between what is right or wrong.  One of my pet peeves is the
gradual change in what is first offensive, then tolerated, then accepted.
 Example:  "drug bust" becomes "busted" for arrested then "busted" for
jaywalking.  Although some of my English teacher colleagues might call this
the evolution of the English language, I can only see it as another example
of lower standards or laziness.  Last night I heard a weekend anchor on
television read, "The building was broke into."  GRRRR!

Don Garnett