Hi folks,

I've been lurking on this list for over a year, posting maybe once or twice
in that time, and have enjoyed listening in on some high quality
conversations.  Now, I have a question... I tried to search the archive,
and did an ERIC search, but could not find information, so here goes...

I am interested in setting up a program for peers to serve as academic
mentors for each other.  I spend a good amount of time every year speaking
to First Term Seminar classes, and working with individuals to do
one-on-one time management sessions.  This has gotten highly repetitive.
AND, the First Term Seminar (FTS) director has put on his wish list that I
go to EVERY FTS class next Fall- there are 46 of them!  So I would like to
look at starting a program that would have 2 or 3 sophamores or juniors
serve as academic role models.  They could visit some of these classes,
work with the Intro Bio class, and meet one-on-one with students.  I see a
lot of benifits to this program- it would give the students some valuable
experience (especially if they want to go into education) and underclass
students would be more likely to come to the office to see a peer than to
see me.  These students would not be content tutors, they would work only
on academic skills.

Does anyone have a program like this?  Is there literature that discusses
this sort of program?  If you know of such a program, can you tell me how
it is organized, and what its strenghts and weaknesses are?  I'd love to
hear as much as you are willing to tell.

Thanks for all your help.

Rebecca

Rebecca Cory
Academic Counselor