Hi,

As part of my job I will be managing tutors in a 'Learning Assistance Center' and, like Jennifer Wannen, am interested in what other centers use as tutor manuals and other supportive material. Tutors here are somewhat free lance, and I would like to set up an information area where they could browse for information, support etc.

For example, tutors' skills might be enhanced by reading articles such as 'Motivational Techniques of Expert Human Tutors: Lessons for the Design of Computer-Based Tutors.' (Lepper et al., in 'Computers as Cognitive Tools' by Susanne Lajoie and Sharon Derry). Athough this research was related to developing computer-based tutors, it involved a qualitative investigation of the characteristics that make human tutors effectiive or not-so-effective.

Dale Havill