Hiya :)

We do not exactly have what you are asking about, but we do have one or two
sophomore students who are assigned to EACH of our first year seminar
classes. Since our classes are not divided by academic major, our student
mentors are not assigned to particular sections based on their majors
either. These sophomore mentors receive one hour of internship credit for
their commitment and assist the faculty/staff mentor with running the class.
I could easily see this group of students being trained to instruct on
learning strategies. I have actually discussed with some people here
possibly training our mentors to review certain things like Cornell method
and the LASSI interpretation that we do each year.

I hope that helps a little...

Tracy

>Hi folks,
>
>I've been lurking on this list for over a year, posting maybe once or twice
>in that time, and have enjoyed listening in on some high quality
>conversations.  Now, I have a question... I tried to search the archive,
>and did an ERIC search, but could not find information, so here goes...
>
>I am interested in setting up a program for peers to serve as academic
>mentors for each other.  I spend a good amount of time every year speaking
>to First Term Seminar classes, and working with individuals to do
>one-on-one time management sessions.  This has gotten highly repetitive.
>AND, the First Term Seminar (FTS) director has put on his wish list that I
>go to EVERY FTS class next Fall- there are 46 of them!  So I would like to
>look at starting a program that would have 2 or 3 sophamores or juniors
>serve as academic role models.  They could visit some of these classes,
>work with the Intro Bio class, and meet one-on-one with students.  I see a
>lot of benifits to this program- it would give the students some valuable
>experience (especially if they want to go into education) and underclass
>students would be more likely to come to the office to see a peer than to
>see me.  These students would not be content tutors, they would work only
>on academic skills.
>
>Does anyone have a program like this?  Is there literature that discusses
>this sort of program?  If you know of such a program, can you tell me how
>it is organized, and what its strenghts and weaknesses are?  I'd love to
>hear as much as you are willing to tell.
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>
>Rebecca
>
>*************************
>Rebecca Cory
>Academic Counselor
>Head Resident of Rundstrom Hall
>Gustavus Adolphus College
>800 W. College Ave
>Saint Peter, MN 56082
>(507) 933-6124

      ..::''''::..  Tracy R. Benner
    .;''   ::   ``;.  Living-Learning Area Coordinator
   ::      ::      ::   Muskingum College
  ::       ::       ::  163 Stormont St.
  ::      .::.      ::  New Concord, Ohio  43762
  ::    .:'::':.    ::  Office: (740) 826-8088
   :: .:'  ::  ':. ::  Fax: (740) 826-8093
    `;.    ::    .;'  Email: [log in to unmask]
      ``::,,,,::''   "Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
- John Lennon