Dear Fellow Listers,

I have a student who is from a small, rural community where colloquial
language does not adhere to the rules of Standard American English.  She is
making great strides in learning how to write in Standard American English,
but her spoken English is still straight from home.  She would like to
change this in order to avoid the prejudices many people have against
speakers of non-standard dialects.  She is planning to take a public
speaking course next semester, but I think there must be an intermediate
step she could take between now and then.  Any suggestions?

Thanks and a hat tip,

Laura

Laura Symons
Academic Resource Center