A new (used) TV set that I just installed has programmed channel. The
channel on which I usually watch CNN had, instead, MTV. It was presenting
a contest of teen models on a beach in Miami. Accompanied by a a rapper,
the models strutted their stuff on an outdoor runway flanked by screaming
teens and post-teens.

In the spirit of anthropological curiousity, I watched for awhile and
noticed that the language of this cultural group relied heavily on the
phrases "out there," "like, real," "no way," and other such modern
colloquialisms.

It occurred to me that most of my students would be much more likely to
emulate the behavior and speech they see there than the behavior I model
in the classroom--however superior (ahem!) my model might be. We may be
fighting a losing battle!

John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
Honolulu, Hawaii                                    --Bill Walton