Develop an ear for standard English (the flow and meter) by listening to the
right kind of dialogue on TV, in the movies, on tape or on the radio.  You
may want to help her identify programs with good model dialogue.

Light reading (fiction or non-fiction) would also be helpful assuming it is
material that models standard English.

Participating in a list serve is moderately conversational and might provide
a less time dependent way to practice generative English.

At 12:59 PM 12/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow Listers,
>
>I have a student who is from a small, rural community where colloquial
>language does not adhere to the rules of Standard American English.  She is
>making great strides in learning how to write in Standard American English,
>but her spoken English is still straight from home.  She would like to
>change this in order to avoid the prejudices many people have against
>speakers of non-standard dialects.  She is planning to take a public
>speaking course next semester, but I think there must be an intermediate
>step she could take between now and then.  Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks and a hat tip,
>
>Laura
>
>Laura Symons
>Academic Resource Center
>Sweet Briar College
>Sweet Briar, Virginia 24595
>http://www.arc.sbc.edu
>804-381-6378

          L. Scott Lissner                 [log in to unmask]
          201 High Street                  (804) 395-2392 (Voice)
          Longwood College                 (804) 395-2252 (Fax)
          Farmville, VA 23909-1899         (800) 828-1120 (TT)