Lori,

You are correct...neither the NADE Guides nor the CAS Standards give
specific recommendations on staff size because of the large variations in
programs, their clients, and missions.  Unfortunately, I am not aware of
any document that makes such prescriptions of staff-to-student ratios.
However, one suggestion you may want to consider is to look at the NADE
GUides and CAS Standards and see if you are able to meet the recommended
standards across the board.  With all that you do, I suspect you cannot do
everything and have to set your priorities.  If you can point out the
instances in which you are unable to fulfill the recommended standards
because you do not have the staff and resources needed, perhaps you can
use that information to back up your request.  In demonstrating what you
are able to achieve and how additional resources would enable to to meet
the recommended program standards, you might get what you need.
Hope this helps.

Georgine Materniak
Director
University of Pittsburgh