I want to log on as supporting Steve Runge's last remark.  I have been too
busy and too tired at this time of the semester to muster up the will to
find the words Steve did to discuss "Spoken English."  But I fancy they are
just the words I would have written.  I would intend, like he, to scold the
missionary attitude (of saving the heathens) many commenters are using.
When one studies dialects--regional or social--one will find that terms like
"correct" and "incorrect" do not apply and that Standard American English
(SAE) is only one dialect of English.  What students who wish to acquire the
standard dialect need is help from someone who actually understands dialects
and does not label nonstandard usage in pejorative terms.

As I read over this post it strikes me as more vitriolic than I intend.  I'm
sure that is a function of being too busy and too tired.
Julia N. Visor, Coordinator
University Center for Learning Assistance
Assistant Professor of English
Illinois State University
Campus Box 4070
Normal IL  61790-4070
ph 309-438-7100 e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Visit the University College website @ http://ucollege.ilstu.edu