At 12:14 PM 12/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
Steve,

I had to go back and reread my own post to see if any "elitism" was evident
in my response.  Since it was pedagogical not theorectical in nature, there
was less of a chance of that.  Aside from taking the stance of having
someone "correct" my speech, which is just about comparison with a
"standard", I didn't see any, and so my conscience was assuaged.

I had a professor for linguistics as an undergraduate and graduate student,
and he had a shirt that was printed on front and back.  The front read,
"Language is rule-governed."  The back read, "It's just that the rules are
arbitrary."  (He, coincidently, was a native of India.) From that
theoretical base, anything other than an egalitarian approach to language is
indefensible.  Thus your comment that "we need to help students learn the
dialect of the path to power" is in keeping with that tradition--no
judgement of the language itself but an acknowledgement of the cultural norms.

Linguistically relativistically yours,

Liam Cadegan
Liam Cadegan
Coordinator, Learning Support Center