Please copy me with the responses to this questionnaire. Thank you. Lois
Burton

        From:   Maureen Cronin [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   Tuesday, December 08, 1998 8:27 PM
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        On-line tutoring

        Greetings,
        I would be most grateful for your help in planning a pilot for an
on-line
        tutoring program.
        Would you be so very kind as to tell me:
        What kind of on-line help do you offer now?
        Hours of availability?  Turn-around time?  Real-time?
        Do tutors work in your facility or do you contract tutors to respond
        on-line questions from their homes during certain agreed upon hours?
        As in all our tutoring, we want to focus on process.  We thought
creating a
        form on our web page that the student must complete to access help
would be
        better than allowing students to ask, "What the answer to question
35?"
        The form might include:
        Course?
        Concept?
        Specific question or problem that illustrates the concept with which
you
        are having difficulty?
        Your progress on the problem to date?  What have you tried?
        How do you approach the process issue in your on-line tutoring,
especially
        if it's not real time?
        And, of course, there's the money.  Do you pay tutors the same rate
you pay
        in person tutors?  More?  Less?  What kind of software do they use?
E-mail
        interface--is one preferred over another?  Have you surveyed the
students
        who use the service?  Are they students who couldn't otherwise
access the
        service?
        Any suggested reading?
        Thank you in advance for your very precious time!  I look forward to
        hearing from you.
        Happy Holidays,
        Maureen Cronin
        University of Nevada, Reno