We use them as you describe.  I've tried switching the order, one time
using G as a pre-test and H as a post-test, then the reverse the next
semester.  In each case students seem to feel that the post-test,
whichever form it is, is harder, though the overall gains are similar no
matter which one is used as the post-test.  I have about decided that
they are always more fatigued at the point in the semester where we
post-test (i.e. exams and papers in all courses) than they are when we
pre-test.  Thus whichever form we use when they are tired seems more
difficult!  I'll be interested to hear what others have observed.

Pat Feldman
Learning Enhancement Center
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Texas