Hello Don and Fellow LRNASSTers,

   Your note about Spoken English was well received and appreciated; as
are all the contibutions of our colleagues.  This "thread" has been
interesting and enlightening.  Thank you.

   By the way, your reference to Dizzy Dean brought back memories.  However,
I always thunk "slud" was good English!  It ain't?

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, DonGarnett wrote:

> On that note, I would like to invite you to attend the National Cowboy
> Symposium in Lubbock next September. (snip) ... a week of poetry,
> chuck wagon cook-offs among 35 major ranches, and a Sunday morning
> breakfast/worship that featured Ron Moore and his Cowdog Will.

   At the risk of continuing with your Dizzy Dean example, and getting
way off base, I would like to tell you that you are the second person in
a day who mentioned the NCS.

   My wife and I attended the Annual Victorian and Cowboy Ball in
historic Fairplay, Colorado this weekend.  It is customary at this
function to end the weekend festivities with Cowboy Church.  Fairplay has
a multi-denominational, little, white, steepled, wooden church that was
built in the late 1880's and completely re-built several years ago.

   All of the people who attend that service are dressed in attire that
would have been appropriate to the Victorian and Trail Drive Era in the
Old West.  The preacher for the last two years has been Rev. Jack Blease
who hails from the Texas Panhandle.  The service includes poetry,
singing, and a very inspirational sermon by Reverend Jack.  Because of
the theme of the weekend, the sermon is always about Christmas.

   This year, Reverend Jack asked me to recite a cowboy poem that I had
recently written.  After the service, he asked me if he could use the
poem in his repertoire and then he asked if I was going to enter the
Symposium in Lubbock.  Until that moment, I had not heard about the
Lubbock event.  Then, after returning home this evening and firing up the
computer, I read your note.  Interesting.

   I released an old-timey cowboy humor book entitled "PINTO'S TALES, Wild
Western Windies With the Hair On!" this last April, and the next book is
shaping up to be mostly poetry instead of Old West, tall tales.  This
distinctly American genre of literature is generating considerable
interest these days.  The last college textbook I published has sold tens
of thousands of copies, but I never had a single student ask me to
autograph one (grin). I have made personal inscriptions in over 600
copies of "Pinto's Tales" so far, and as some of you know, that's a grand
experience.

   Sorry for the detour away from the purpose of our listserve, folks.
But, Don DID ask.

Pat Schutz