Sometimes these tapes that are used for ESL students that provide the
proper sounding of words may help. I know I can use something like
that in French to improve my ability to sound out French words:).
They have tapes called "Learn English" that may help. Lorraine

> Develop an ear for standard English (the flow and meter) by listening to the
> right kind of dialogue on TV, in the movies, on tape or on the radio.  You
> may want to help her identify programs with good model dialogue.
>
> Light reading (fiction or non-fiction) would also be helpful assuming it is
> material that models standard English.
>
> Participating in a list serve is moderately conversational and might provide
> a less time dependent way to practice generative English.
>
> At 12:59 PM 12/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Dear Fellow Listers,
> >
> >I have a student who is from a small, rural community where colloquial
> >language does not adhere to the rules of Standard American English.  She is
> >making great strides in learning how to write in Standard American English,
> >but her spoken English is still straight from home.  She would like to
> >change this in order to avoid the prejudices many people have against
> >speakers of non-standard dialects.  She is planning to take a public
> >speaking course next semester, but I think there must be an intermediate
> >step she could take between now and then.  Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks and a hat tip,
> >
> >Laura
> >
> >Laura Symons
> >Academic Resource Center
> >Sweet Briar College
> >Sweet Briar, Virginia 24595
> >http://www.arc.sbc.edu
> >804-381-6378
> >

>           L. Scott Lissner                 [log in to unmask]
>           201 High Street                  (804) 395-2392 (Voice)
>           Longwood College                 (804) 395-2252 (Fax)
>           Farmville, VA 23909-1899         (800) 828-1120 (TT)

France is the only country with a 300m flagpole.
Gustave Eiffel on the Eiffel Tower

"All people have two countries and one of them is France." Benjamin Franklin