Greetings,
I would be most grateful for your help in planning a pilot for an on-line
tutoring program.
Would you be so very kind as to tell me:
What kind of on-line help do you offer now?
Hours of availability?  Turn-around time?  Real-time?
Do tutors work in your facility or do you contract tutors to respond to
on-line questions from their homes during certain agreed upon hours?
As in all our tutoring, we want to focus on process.  We thought creating a
form on our web page that the student must complete to access help would be
better than allowing students to ask, "What the answer to question 35?"
The form might include:
Course?
Concept?
Specific question or problem that illustrates the concept with which you
are having difficulty?
Your progress on the problem to date?  What have you tried?
How do you approach the process issue in your on-line tutoring, especially
if it's not real time?
And, of course, there's the money.  Do you pay tutors the same rate you pay
in person tutors?  More?  Less?  What kind of software do they use?  E-mail
interface--is one preferred over another?  Have you surveyed the students
who use the service?  Are they students who couldn't otherwise access the
service?
Any suggested reading?
Thank you in advance for your very precious time!  I look forward to
hearing from you.
Happy Holidays,
Maureen Cronin
University of Nevada, Reno